Come, create with us. . .
Lead Nuke Artist
Blockhead VFX is an award-winning company with studios in both Auckland and Sydney. We work across diverse projects including long-form film, episodic TV, and commercial work.
Blockhead is a fun place to work with a relaxed mentality. We value work/life balance and getting home for our evenings and weekends. We are open to flexible working conditions and strongly believe creativity comes from human diversity.
We are looking for a Lead Nuke Artist to join our growing team, delivering the best work possible. Working closely with our Vfx supervisors and Head of 2D you will help develop our Nuke department both creatively and technically, someone wanting a role that will grow, initially comp focused but for the ideal candidate, the role will develop into more of a HOD position.
Ideally, you have:
– At least 5+ years of studio experience in Nuke, less if you are just generally awesome
– Extensive experience working with CG Creatures
– Proven experience delivering high-end, complex VFX shots and sequences that incorporate CG, Live Action, Stock footage, DMP, and design elements
– Be confident in leading, mentoring and supporting junior artists
– Good knowledge of the production pipeline, techniques, and executions
– Work collaboratively within a tight-knit team
– Be dependable under pressure whilst always maintaining a strong eye for detail
– Excellent organisation, communication, and problem-solving skills
– Ability to multitask, prioritise, and problem solve
– A personable and inclusive nature.
This is full-time role, with a preference for New Zealand and Australian residents.
If this sounds like you, please email your resume and a link to your reel to email@example.com
Blockhead is looking to fill a CG Supervisor role out of our Sydney studio and join our growing team. Working closely with our Auckland based CG Supervisor , Vfx supervisors and Head of 2D you will help develop the CG department both creatively and technically.
We value work/life balance and getting home for our evenings and weekends. We are open to flexible working conditions and strongly believe creativity comes from human diversity.
The CG Supervisor oversees the workflow, and overall creative success of the 3D department, including personally working on shots and troubleshooting technical issues on a regular basis. The CG Supervisor represents the 3D team to a diverse group of internal and external clients, helping manage the team’s workload, and priorities.
CG Supervisor Duties:
- Partner with Production to ensure department resources are balanced across all projects.
- Monitor workload and assignments across the 3D team, balancing the volume of work with artists’ creative strengths to provide clients with the best possible result.
- Coordinate with Production teams to manage artists and ensure a consistently high quality of work from the department.
- Advise department supervisors on best practices and participate in breaking down and bidding 3D work for projects.
- Suggest efficient techniques to keep bids competitive and minimise unnecessary production needs and labour.
- Work on shots personally, while maintaining sufficient bandwidth for the other duties of the role. Focus on covering other team members, and tackling short but challenging projects.
- Proactively anticipate issues with existing workflow, technology and staffing, and present solutions to management with sufficient time for action to be taken.
- Cultivate a team-oriented approach across the department and company as a whole. Address any interpersonal conflicts promptly and in a collaborative manner.
- Establish and advise on priorities for the 3D render farm and Render Wrangler.
- In collaboration with studio leadership, participate in hiring, onboarding and training.
- Prepare and document workflows and best practices, organising them to be readily accessible to staff.
- Communicate a consistent and compelling picture of the company’s position as a world-class VFX.
Ideal Skills :
- 10+ years in 3D; comfortable leading CG Generalist teams as well as artists specialising in all areas of 3D.
- Highly proficient in Maya and or Houdini.
- Basic familiarity with compositing workflows and tools.
- Strong understanding of lighting principles, colour theory, and latest techniques in 3D computer graphics.
- Role model in conflict resolution and ability to provide insight into complex situations for their team.
- Highly organised individual who enjoys the creative process and managing a team.
Blockhead is one of the world’s leading VFX studios with bases in Sydney and Auckland. Throughout its 13-year history, Blockhead has been at the forefront of creating engaging stories using the latest in movie and gaming technology. Whether a Netflix blockbuster movie, an Amazon TV Series, or one of the biggest brands in the world, Blockhead has created talking creatures, missions to space, recreated historical events, and simulated alternate realities.
If this sounds like you please email your resume and/ or reel to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Houdini Artist
Blockhead is looking for a talented Senior-level Houdini Artist to join us full-time, based out of our Sydney or Auckland location.
Please get in touch at email@example.com with a showreel if you are interested in joining the team.
Blockhead is looking to expand its pool of freelance talent for 3D Generalists. This would be a mid-weight/senior position available in both our Auckland and Sydney offices.
Please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV, showreel and your availability if you are interested in joining the team.
Blockhead Studios is an award winning company looking for a Lead Animator based out of our Sydney studio.
This is a full time role or contract.
A lot of the animation we do is creature based so having physically accurate realistic creature experience is a must. We would also prefer someone with good facial animation experience using FACS.
We are mostly Maya based with some Houdini.
Being a small team, any other skills you may have will be greatly embraced.
You will work closely with the Creative Director, VFX Supervisor and other leads. You will take ownership of all animation, provide animation direction and set a high bar for the other animators.
We ideally would like you to have around 8 years experience with some of those at a Senior Animator level.
Please get in touch with us by emailing us at email@example.com with your showreel.
If you’re outstanding, then don’t wait . . . .